Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The One with the Proposal

Let me start from the beginning. The beginning was about 3 years ago. MM and I had been dating for a few months at this point, and we wanted to take a vacation during our school break. We had decided on Las Vegas, seeing as how it fit nicely within our budget. It was wonderful--we stayed in Paris, watched the Beatles Cirque du Soleil show LOVE, and in front of the Bellagio fountains, MM told me he loved me for the first time. (Okay, everybody gag....NOW!)

MM in front of the Bellagio Fountains during one of the nightly shows
So when it came time to plan our vacation this year, again with a tight budget, we decided to do Las Vegas again! I was thrilled--there was so much more of Vegas I hadn't seen! So many places I had yet to stay! So many shows I had yet to watch! (And so on and so forth.)

We had found a FANTASTIC deal for the MGM Grand ($69/night, thanks to Vegas.com), which I was perfectly happy with. MM suggested that we stay for three nights, and that he would plan the first and third nights, and I could plan the second. MM decided on In-and-Out Burger and the Jabbawockeez for the first night, and I had suggested Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill and Cirque du Soleil's Zumanity for the second night. MM refused to tell me what he had planned for the third night, which should have been my first hint....

So fast forward a few months: MM and I arrive at the Las Vegas airport. I am telling him we need to figure out how to get to the MGM Grand, and ask him if there is a shuttle. MM says he will figure it out. We come down the escalators, and lo and behold, there is a suited gentleman with a sign with MM's name on it.

I am confused. "Is this the shuttle driver?" I ask, as the man takes our suitcases and leads us outside. MM has a cryptic smile on his face.

Outside, my confusion is replaced with surprise as I see where the driver is headed.


"You got us a LIMO?!?!" I shriek. (I'm sure the driver is just listening to our conversation, bemused.)

MM smiles and motions for me to get in. So I do. And I marvel at all the little amenities inside said limo, disregarding all the little signs that say "Bellagio" on it...Then we pull into the Bellagio driveway. Once again, I am confused.

"Wait, are we still going to the MGM Grand?" (I'm sure at this point, the driver thinks I am mentally handicapped.)

"No, silly. I decided to upgrade us to the Bellagio!" And upgrade us, he did. As soon as we arrived, a bellhop was there to pick up our suitcases. Yet another suited gentleman hands MM an envelope: "Your itinerary for the stay, sir."

We are ushered past the checkout lines and through an unmarked door. Inside, is a private concierge desk, and a spread of pastries, wine, and beverages like I have never seen at a hotel check-in. Still unsure of what is going on, I sit on the couch in this VIP room in a half-daze as MM checks us in.

MM tells me, "I talked to my cousin, and he got us this VIP service. Unfortunately, I couldn't get us an upgrade for our room, so we're just in a standard."

Are you kidding me?? I don't need an upgrade, I'm in the Bellagio, baby!!!! This is what I am thinking, but I am still in shock, so I just mumble my understanding and follow him up to our "standard" room. Which was still pretty damn nice.

So we spend our time enjoying the Bellagio pool during the day, and entertaining ourselves on the strip at night.

Jabbawockeez stage
Us at Mesa Grill
After our delicious dinner at Mesa Grill, MM gives me a serious look. "Okay, so tomorrow morning, I want you to pack up all your things, and I am sending you somewhere."

I try to get more out of him than this, but he is tight lipped. I am suspicious, but the next morning, I do as he asks and pack up my entire suitcase...

....and the next part will have to wait for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment